Monday, April 19, 2010

Cooking Supplies and Battling the Winter Blues

Today is January 15, 2007 and I just lived through another power outage. This is the third one in the midwest in the last six months.

The first in July, lasted 8 days and the temperature outside was a balmy 98F Plus. No air conditioning, no refrigeration, no power for even a fan. The second, in late November, missed me for which I am extremely grateful. This latest outage was due to an ice storm on January 12, 2007 and over 150,000 homes in my area were without power. At last check there were still some 80,000. Lucky me, I was one of them. Also, Lucky me, I got my power back in less than forty eight hours.

Again I realize that most of you think I am just ranting but there is a point to this rambling.Sitting in my freezing home by myself - I sent my family to relatives homes - I realized how much I miss the taste of BBQ. I miss the backyard gatherings with family and friends and I cannot wait for the warm spring and hot summer when I can fire up the pit and cook up whatever my heart dictates - ribs, chicken, pork steaks (for those that are unfamiliar this is pork shoulder or butt cut into steaks - 3/4 inch thick is best), burgers, simple hotdogs. Potato salad & cole slaw, watermelon, beer and wine coolers. I am ready. Winter is just too dreary.

I can sometimes satisfy the urge with an electric indoor grill that I have had for years. While it is not the same as a charcoal grill (I prefer charcoal over propane) it does satisfy a need when you combine it with your favorite BBQ sauce, be it bottled or home-made. Now, just for you, if you do not have access to an indoor grill, I am going to give you my absolutely favorite recipe for getting past the BBQ urge in winter. Your can do really great BBQ chicken in the oven:

2 1/2 to 3 lbs. of chicken pieces - either a whole chicken cut up or pieces of your favorite parts - I usually use thighs & drumsticks as I prefer the dark meat
salt & pepper to taste
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup ketchup - use jalapeno ketchup if you want to spice it up a bit
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of either Dijon or Hot Sweet mustard
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper - like cayenne - if you want a little heat.

Heat oven to 400deg F. Arrange chicken pieces in a deep baking dish and season with salt and pepper if desired.

In a bowl combine water, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard, worcestershire sauce, and red pepper if desired and pour over chicken pieces.

Bake about 45 minutes, uncovered, then tip the baking dish and skim off the fat.

See Also : Good bbq sauce At Amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment